Youth Concerto Competition Policy
1. The Competition is open to New Jersey residents under the age of 18 (as of March 3, 2012). There is no minimum age requirement.
2. Open to all orchestral instruments, excluding piano.
3. Applications must be postmarked by December 31, 2011, and include a non-refundable registration fee of $25. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
4. A CD or MP3 recording of the applicant must accompany the application.
5. The recording can be submitted online by the deadline to email@example.com
6. All selections must have an orchestral accompaniment available.
7. Fifteen (15) Finalists from the preliminary auditions will be chosen and notified via email by Friday, January 13, 2012. Audition time slot on January 22 will also be communicated by January 13, 2012.
UPDATE (12/12/2011): The requirement for submitting a recording with the application has been lifted for anyone who placed into the Regions Orchestra and Band. However, the application form and fee are still due on December 31, 2011. Please send them in to secure an audition time.
Final Audition Requirements
8. All auditions must be in person. No auditions by tape or video.
9. The Audition piece should be a work for solo instrument with orchestra, and should not exceed 20 minutes in length.
10. The audition piece must be performed from memory.
11. All auditions will take place before an Audition Committee on Sunday, January 22, 2012 from 1 to 5 PM in West Windsor, New Jersey. An alternative audition date may be provided in case of severe inclement weather.
12. Contestants must supply their own accompanist for the audition.
13. Audition results will be communicated within two weeks of the audition.
14. There will be two winners selected to perform with Sinfonietta Nova on Saturday, March 3, 2012. One of them will be from Mercer County.
15. The decision of the Audition Committee is final.
16. Winner(s) must be available to work with the conductor and for rehearsals with the orchestra on Tuesdays, February 21 and February 28, 2012.
17. In addition to the opportunity of performing with the orchestra, a scholarship of $250 will be awarded to the first place winner.
18. Applicants agree to allow Sinfonietta Nova to use information about them including names, personal biographies, photographs, and a recording of the concerto performance in promotional and publicity materials, web pages, Facebook posts, as well as on grant and other applications in support of the orchestra and its activities.
For complete information and Application Form, please download the following PDF (requires Adobe Reader) file: